Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I replaced the starter generator on my 2007 ydra golf cart.

Hello, i replaced the...

Hello, i replaced the starter generator on my 2007 ydra golf cart. I also put in a new battery. When i tried to use the cart, it went forward while in reverse and backward when in forward gear. It barely went at all. Ran really rough. Quit doing anything in about 3 minutes. had battery tested. it was fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

I got it in Dec. 2016. There are no markings on it other than a sticker that says 316 366

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I was hoping to

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/24/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Do you have 12 volts to the starter generator from the battery? See the diagram below. Is the fuse good? Could you have wired the starter/generator backward for f/r?

The starter had two wires that needed attached and one wire clip. I'm pretty sure that I put the wires in the places they came from.

Revering the two wires would change the direction of rotation. ?? Do you have voltage to it?

I did for a little bit
then everything went dead

Do you have a voltmeter to test for voltage and check the fuse?

should the wire that goes from the A terminal to the F terminal go from A1 to F1 or A2 to F1? I can check the voltage and fuse tomorrow. On the old starter is looks like it was A2 to F1 on the new one it is A1 to F1

Swapping A1 and A2 would let it turn on opposite directions. Try it the other way.

ok ill give it a try

OK>

Hello. Went back to the golf course today. Reinstalled the battery and the starter generator with the A2 connected, not the A1. Also replaced the 4A fuse and the 10A fuse. Cart started and went forward -- but very slowly and jerky. Went about 8 - 10 yards and cart was dead again. Pushed it back into its parking spot. Did not have my voltmeter with me to check voltage at starter. When the pulleys turned, the did not move smoothly, kind of stopped and started while trying to spin.

You say engine started? Or was it just running on the battery? This is a gas cart, not electric? I think you were just driving on battery today, and the battery is dead!

it is gas. It is a brand new battery that I took back to Autozone yesterday. They tested it and it was at 12 V and 89% charged. Of course, it could have sat in their store for a year or so since they probably don't sell too many of them. I had a car battery with a dead cell that took forever to figure out years ago. Maybe this is something similar. Thanks for your help. I thought about just taking that battery back to the store because when I tried to start the cart, it just didn't seem to be getting enough power. Maybe I will return the battery tomorrow and get one from a store that sells them more often.

Take your voltmeter and see what the battery reads when you try to start. it should not drop below about 9 volts. If it does, the battery is dead.

Thanks

Thank you, ***** ***** know the result.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Went back today. Found a loose wire that I reattached. This restored power to cart. Got cart to start. Not much power. I will attach a video. Ran really slow. Would not stop running. Turned key off, still ran.

Check the engine stop relay, it has to kill the engine. As for the way cart runs, is fuel flow to carburetor good from tank and fuel filter? Air filter clean?