Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I recently cleaned my with carb cleaner and changed to fresh…

Customer Question
I recently cleaned my...

I recently cleaned my carburetor with carb cleaner and changed to fresh no ethanol gas and my mower wil fire but it wont stay cranked

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Its about 4 years old and its a craftsman 6,5 briggs and Stratton engine self propelled

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I took it to a small engine repair and they charged me $57 and I brought it home and its doing the same thing

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/24/2018
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 3 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

when you cleaned the carb, was it removed and cleaned with carb cleaner and compressed air? did you make sure to clean through all the jets in the carb?

I ask all these questions due to they can be tricky to clean at times. I have had to clean carbs 2-5 times before everything would become dislodged from the jet(s).

remove the nut/bolt from the bottom of the carb bowl and make sure that the holes through it are free and clear or anything. spray the vertical and horizontal holes with carb cleaner. you should be able to see through the hole in the side of the nut/bolt

I did all of this and it still will not start

spray the carb cleaner into the carb and see if the engine will start briefly. once it does, try to keep spraying it into the carb and see if it will continue to run while spraying a slow stream into the carb

Tried that

will is stay running while being sprayed or does it still die?

Issue will be in the fuel system then for sure.

try filling a small container with carb cleaner and letting the carb soak for 8-12 hours. sometimes a clogged jet will take a good soaking or several cleanings to get cleaned fully.

If fuel is filling up the bowl of the carb, but not going from the carb into the engine, there is a clogged jet still.