Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I purchased a Craftsman lawn tractor in the fall of 2016. It…

Customer Question
I purchased a Craftsman...

I purchased a Craftsman lawn tractor in the fall of 2016. It features the system with the forward accelerator on the top of the pedal and reverse accelerator on the bottom of the same pedal. It is an awkward system at best. My problem is that when going forward it sticks and is difficult to change to reverse, and similarly, it sticks in reverse and it is difficult to get it to go forward again, Do others have this problem? Is this a major repair, or is it something one can fix himself?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

By mid-season 2017 it was a total aggravation to mow the lawn because of the time-consuming effort to change back and forth in forward and reverse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am capable but challenged by time constraints. It is time to do the first mowing and could use help to solve the problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No other problems. The mower operates fine in other respects.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Regret not having pertinent information like the model number close at hand. It is a Craftsman mover bought new in the fall of 2016.

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Small Engine
3/24/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 29 days ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

The model number would help, but If it were mine, I would use a can of WD40 on the linkage on the foot pedal and see if it will free up the binding.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I can do this with the WD40. How can one observe the linkage. I could not visually isolate the problem.

Raise the mower up on its side, so you can get to the linkage under the pedal. It can be tipped almost on its side, just prop it up so you can see and observe the linkage. A roll around garage jack makes it easy.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Would prefer getting pertinent information and calling back tomorrow to receive help with repair.

Find your model number under the seat, then we both will know what you have, Craftsman has many different models.

Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 23 days ago

I see the question is still open, did you find the problem?

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician