Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Honda eu2000I surging at idle and at wide open doesn't do…

Customer Question
Honda eu2000I surging at idle...
Honda eu2000I surging at idle and at wide open doesn't do this consistently, it will just at random rev up high for a second then back to normal until next surge, I have checked for vacuum leaks and replaced carb with no change seems more like a governor problem. What else should I do or check?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/23/2018
Technician: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 4 months ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
I still need help.
Technician: timoto, Technician replied 3 months ago
timoto
timoto, Technician

I would start the diagnostic by eliminating a fuel delivery problem assuming you have already checked for any sign of water or dirt in the fuel system. Begin by removing the gas cap and running the engine to eliminate the possibility of a venting problem with the gas cap. Next you will need to rig up a remote fuel system and plug off the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb. It can be as simple as a funnel and a piece of hose attached to the carb that will allow you run the engine to see if the problem is still present. If yes then you need to check the fuel delivery thru the fuel strainer in the bottom of the fuel tank thru the fuel petcock to the fuel pump. If good check that the 3 hoses on the fuel pump are tight. This includes the pulse line which is the large hose going to the crankcase. If the problem continues then you could try replacing the fuel pump but before doing that I would check to see that the spark arrestor in the exhaust is not clogged with carbon. This is located on the engine side of the muffler and is a wire mesh screen that is shaped like a thimble. Another thing to check would be all of the wire connections behind the inverter looking for any connectors that are not tight or have any corrosion on them. The electronic control for the throttle is very low voltage so any corrosion could be a source of the problem.

Please leave a five star rating so that I can get credit for assisting you. After rating you can return at any time and add a reply if you need more help with this problem.