Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I need help in repairing a craftsman drill press Model #

Customer Question
I need help in...

I need help in repairing a craftsman drill press Model # 103.23130 The chuck does not stay up. When the handle is used to lower the bit so as to drill and then returned to the up positon, Once released the bit and chuck slowly go down as far as the table will permit.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A few days.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Technician: MowerDocMD, Small Engine Technician replied 3 months ago
MowerDocMD
MowerDocMD, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am here to help you. First off, wow. I don't get to help with 1946 built machinery very often. I think it's great that it's still around. The most likely reason for your issue is that the return spring is broken. Unfortunately, I am unable to find anyplace with a new spring. It's going to have to be removed and, hopefully, matched up to something comparable currently in manufacture. There is the possibility that the break occurred right at the loop on the end. The spring could be heated and a new end fashioned out of what's left. Otherwise something else will have to be retrofitted, perhaps a swing spring. You would have to take it to a hardware or box store and hope to find something that would fit. Here is a link to the owners manual I found. The part number for the spring is 18915. You can see it and it's location on the last page of the manual. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance and thanks for using Just Answer.

-Brian