Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

How is the pulley removed from the hydro pump on a scab

Customer Question
How is the pulley...

How is the pulley removed from the hydro pump on a scab Tiger cub

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

2hours

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Scag not scab
3/22/2018
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 4 months ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi, I’m Wayne.

I will be assisting you with this issue today.

there are usually 2 set screws on the hub portion of those older pulleys, just want to make sure they are out good ways. then we heat the center of the pulley a good bit to get some expansion. Next, put a pry bar behind the pulley and put some outward pressure on it. Use a good-sized punch lined up into the center dimple of the pump shaft and hit it well a few times. usually, the pulley will start walking off the pump shaft from the outward pressure of the pry bar and shock of the hitting.

now if its the taper-lock. remove the 2 bolts from the tapered hub. use a tap and clean out the threads of the other threaded bolts holes. those are your pushing holes that are tapped and making sure there clean will save you possibly a bunch of headaches of a broken bolt. Next reuse the 1/4" bolts or better yet get some new ones and thread them into those holes going back and forth side to side to equalize the pushing force and that's what will push off the pulley from the tapered lock hub. Then the tapered hub should just come off the pump shaft

My goal is to give you the best experience possible.

I hope that I have earned a 5-star rating

Found at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.​

Morning

Just following up with you

Did my answer help you

Morning

I took the time to answer your question

Please take the time to respond to me