Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Deere LA115 riding mower that will start and run as…

Customer Question
I have a John...

I have a John Deere LA115 riding mower that will start and run as long as the throttle is in choke mode but when I move it to run mode the engine dies.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Fuel yes. No shut off valve.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

31P6770832B1 Engine Model
080617ZD24838 Ser #

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Small Engine
3/21/2018
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 1 month ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

How long has it been since your engine lasted started up and performed to your satisfaction?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
one year at least

Thanks for your response. Did you have fuel left inside your fuel tank from a year ago?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no I replaced the fuel tank (it had cracked) and added new fuel. that is when the problem started.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also changed the fuel filter.

Thanks for this information. If your engine will only run if your carburetor choke is in closed position, this indicates that you have either a partially clogged jet or a partially clogged fuel passage in your carburetor. Your carburetor will need to be cleaned.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
in addition I removed the fuel line to the carb and sprayed carb cleaner in it. also changed the spark plug.

Did you notice fuel running from your fuel line, after you removed it from your carburetor?

Okay ...

I do believe that a good cleaning of your carburetor will resolve our problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
does that mean I have to remove the carb?

Yes, you will need to remove your carburetor. If you will take pictures and make note, this will help to make reassembly much easier.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do I need a "kit" to do this?

It is always best to use parts from a new carburetor kit after you clean your carburetor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can I get by without one?

Maybe, if you are careful as you are disassembling your carburetor.

Some times you can reuse your parts.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you describe what I need to do once the carb is off. ive never done this.

Sure. I will need to know the brand of your engine, and the model numbers for your engine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
31P6770832B1 Engine Model
080617ZD24838
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
31P6770832B1 Engine Model
080617ZD24838 ser #

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
b&s
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. I'll get back if I need added help.

Here is a video ...

Thank you again for choosing Just Answer. If you need additional assistance, please feel free to let me know, and I will be happy to continue working with you, until our problem is resolved. There is a link in your email that you can click on, if or when you need to return to our discussion page.

My goal is to always offer total satisfaction. If you feel that my services have been helpful to you, please take a moment to rate my services.

Donald
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician