Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Have Stihl ms 290 that worked this am. now I pull the cord…

Have Stihl ms 290 that...
Have Stihl ms 290 that worked this am. now I pull the cord and its difficult like to safety handle is stopping it. Tried to reset safety handle. now luck.
3/21/2018
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

remove the spark plug and see if it is easier to pull.

if so, replace the plug and try it again with the plug inserted.

if it is still hard to pull, remove the starter side and pull with no pressure. ( could be bound up inside)

look inside the cylinder while the plug is out and make sure there is no markings on the cylinder walls as this can also cause a hard pull

it worked this am, and spark plug can go like that? could it be the safety handle? is it forward or back? tried both

the safety handle should be pulled all the way back. it can be locked on the clutch. easy way to tell this is to remove the cover over the bar.

the reason I stated to remove the plug and see if it is easier to pull is due to compression, can be what is called hydro locked. may just need to release pressure

JonYou're right it was the spark plug...surprising! Thanks! Peter

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

ok will do where is rating?
ok will do

I​ believe it is at the top right of your page

JON
JON, Small Engine Technician