Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I cant pull starter cord on portable generator. 20+ years.

I cant pull starter...

I cant pull starter cord on portable generator

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

20+ years. 5500 generator

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I quess so

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Would it help possible if I disconnect spark plug? I pull cord once - did not start but was cold. Then cord locked up.

3/21/2018
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

remove the spark plug and see if you are able to pull the starter cord. Let me know if you can.

If you can, pull it over a few times and then reinsert the plug and try to pull again. Once again, let me know the outcome please, and we will troubleshoot from there

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can't even find a spark plug on 5500 portable generator

what brand name is this?

p​lug should be near the valve cover of the engine. you should be able to see the wire running to it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
briggs & stratton 5500 portable generator

look in the area behind the carb area. should see the valve cover, and also the plug wire

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you. I found it. I don't have the tool to remove it at this time. I'm going to try to find one and play with it. If I cant fix it, its over 20 years old and i'll replace it.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
JON
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician