Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a GE Standy generator with a Briggs and Stratton

I have a GE...

I have a GE Standy generator with a Briggs and Stratton motor. Engine will not crack. i changed battery, solenoid and starter. still wont crank but now starter is smoking

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

GE engine type is 0112-e1 model # is 359775 code # is 08112511 serial # is(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have been at it for 4 hours

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Like i said now the new starter smoked and when i put the old starter back in that one smoked also but again it will not crank

3/21/2018
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi, I’m Wayne.

I will be assisting you with this issue today.

Remove the spark plug and see if it cranks over

let me know, Please

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it has two plugs should i remove both plugs? also i am new to this service so will you be available when i return? also, does the smoke from the starter/stater getting hot concern you ??

HI

Yes I will be here when you come back

Yes both plugs remove

Yes the starter smoke concerns me

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
removed both plugs tried starting -- NO CRANK and again slight smoke from starteryou do hear a "click" but no crank of engine
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
wayne are you there?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
plugs fyi look brand new

HI

OK, plugs out don't crank starter smoke

sorry to tell you but the bearings in the generator are

worn out and dragging down the engine

bearings will need to be replaced,

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible.

I hope that I have earned a 5-star rating

Found at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.​

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how can you be so sure? could it be an electrical issue?
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Not an electrical issue. Mechanical issue. Remove the cover over the flywheel and put a socket wrench on the crankshaft nut and see if the engine can be turned. The starter is smoking because the engine is stuck. Did it quit under use? Was it full of oil? When was it last ran?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how can you rule out an electrical or wiring issue?

Starter is trying, but can't turn engine, try the wrench on the flywheel nut!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it hasnt run in a month or two, it generally runs an excercise test weekly but we have not heard it in awhile. the engine oil was low so i filled it to the correct level and now i am where I am. if i can move the flywheel, will that "unstuck" the engine? could that possibly fix the issue?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
or am i up the creek without a paddle?

If you can get the engine to turn, it may free up, if not, figure the engine will need major repair.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
let me try that and see what happens--- can i leave plugs out or should i reinstall them?

Leave them out for now. If you can get the engine to turn, u=yu could put some oil into the spark plug holes to help lubricate the cylinders.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
in the event i get it to crank, what type of oil should i put in spark plug holes? same as engine oil or a WD-40?

I would use WD40.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
alright Curtis i will give this a shot now and come back to you--- i really hope this works as snow storm is heading my way
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sounds like machine is leaking oil, oil level got low and engine seized up?? does that sound about right to you?

Yes, afraid so!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
stay tuned Curtis-- lets see what happens
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do i literally remove the cover over flywheel and turn the bolt? either direction? is it that simple?

Whatever it takes to get to the flywheel nut! Turn it CW, or you might loosen it.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My man Curtis!!! I fixed the f**ker!!! that was it... Flywheel was stuck. i used a 1/2 breaker bar with a 1-3/8 socket --- i had to really lay into it but it started to move and then i shot WD40 into spark plug wells, cranked it by hand some more and VOILA--- ONE FOR THE GOOD GUYS !!!! thank you for your help Curtis
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this weekend i will figure out where it is leaking oil but for now bring on the snowstorm!!! thanks again
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
any more suggestions as to the following; 1. Should i put any "special oil" in now that i got it to start? 2. Where should i start my search of the oil leak. i see alot of oil in bottom of unit as your looking at it in front left corner. Oil filter is in right left corner... anyway, again i am ecstatic that i fixed it!!!
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician