Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I was mowing with my Husqvarna riding mower yesterday and…

I was mowing with...

I was mowing with my Husqvarna riding mower yesterday and all of a sudden it died and when I tried to restart the ignition switch would not engage the starter.I have a remote switch I used on the solenoid and can turn over the motor but it will not fire.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is about 4 years old.I have all the paperwork but does not show a model number on any of it.Will have to go outside and see if I can find a model on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if I am able

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No none I can think of

3/20/2018
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Sounds like the ignition switch or safety switch went bad. Do you have a multi meter to test the switches?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do have a multimeter But I do not have any idea where the safety switches are except for the one under the seat.The model number of my Husqvarna is YTH24V48

first thing to try it, spray carb cleaner or starting fluid into the intake and try to jump the solenoid. see if it will fire off briefly. if not try the following

first one I would test would be the ignition switch. place - probe on the tab labeled "G" and the + probe on the "B" tab. you should have continuity when the key is turned to the on position to start. if so, turn key off and make sure you have continuity between the "G" tab and the "M" tab with key off. if so, the switch is good.

seat switch would be the next switch to test

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No continuity with switch on between tabs G and B .There is continuity between tabs G and M with the switch off
Ignition switch is bad and needs to be replaced if no continuity
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Jon
JON
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician