Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Curtis, I have a Bolens snow thrower 31A-32AD765 that is…

Hi Curtis, I have...

Hi Curtis, I have a Bolens snow thrower 31A-32AD765 that is emitting white smoke while running. Getting the blower running is no problem. The blower has sat since last winter, when it was used lightly and was new. No maintenance has yet been preformed. The oil has been checked and some was added after the smoke was first noticed. I realize after some research that the smoke can be the result of too much oil.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just now

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I do t think so

3/20/2018
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.
Check to see if your oil smell like gas is mixed in with it.
We can continue from here.
Hi Donald. It does not smell like gas is mixed in. The blower has separate tanks for oil and gas
I don’t think I’ll switch to a call yet if you don’t mind
Thanks for your response. The phone call is only optional and is not always needed.
Have you recently tilted your engine?
I may have a few weeks ago when I first noticed the problem. But it has sat still and flat since then.
The smoke could be coming from burning oil inside your muffler, or from oil that may have dripped onto your muffler.
How do you recommend I check and proceed?
Just to be on the safe side. Change your engine oil and refill to the correct oil level. Start your engine and allow it to run a few minutes. The smoke will eventually clear.
Oil very likely drained into your muffler a few weeks ago and has remained there.
After your engine runs for a while, the oil will burn out your muffler.
okay, thank you! I believe my maintenance manual shows me how to change the oil. Am I able to reconnect with you afterwards?
You’re very welcome! We can continue from afterwards. After you return to our discussion, I will be notified.
There are no additional charges for following up.
Great! I’ll reply a little later.
Very good! Take your time.
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
hi Donald. Keith here. I did not feel like I had adequate ability to change the oil myself. But I was able to release a small bit of oil, and let the blower run for five minutes and the smoke dissipated. So I think for now I’m good to go. Thank you for your help!

You are very welcome! I do hope all continues to go well for you.