Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My Cub Cadet 1330 is not keeping the battery charged. Not…

My Cub Cadet 1330...

My Cub Cadet 1330 is not keeping the battery charged. Not sure if its a charger issue orif its been mis-wired by a previous owner. With a new battery it seems ok. In short order the battery will not turn the starter enough to make it turn over.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I bought this mower

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

July last year. Previous owner complained about having to keep a battery charger on it to get it to start. I put a new battery in it. It worked till early August. Took the battery back to the NAPA store I got it from. They confirmed it was junk.Got a new larger battery. That worked till September when the mowing season here was ending. At that point I couldnot charge the battery at all. In trying to diagnose it last fall I had the starter solenoid out and am not sure AI got it rewired right. Right or wrong it didnpt work before. need wiring diagram.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I don't know any Cub dealer in central Iowa or a good private tech either.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Thats the problem in a nutshell. Would like the wiring diagramand any ifo on original problem Will provide as much answers as I can.

3/20/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
have you read my original question? What I think I need is a wiring diagram and answers on how to test the starter/battery charger to see if that is working.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HELLO!!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
NO!! I don't want to spend $24 more to TALK. Show me you have a reasonable answer!!!

The engine has a stator under the flywheel, which is the alternator, and the two wires from it go to a voltage regulator. To check it, you use a voltmeter set on AC volts and unplug the voltage regulator and test the two wires from the stator, the two end wires should be the stator, Run engine at least half throttle, and test, the voltage needs to be at least 28 volts AC. If it is, the stator is good, then plug the regulator back up, set the meter on DC volts, and read the middle wire on the regulator, reading needs to be at least 14 volts /DC. If it is, it is good, and output needs to be connected to the battery positive. If not 14 volts, regulator os bad. We don't need the phone call!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the starter is not the alternater as on many other mowers? To check that the model is correct Cub Cade1330 mdl 13233F100 SN 213616

No, the stator is under the flywheel, did you see the parts link I sent?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I haven't seen the parts list.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just reviewed this page and dont' see anything suggesting aparts list.

# 8 is the regulator and # 16 is the stator. Are you on a smartphone? I sent it off a tablet. It is there!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
found your parts list link. It was not there when I wrote the last question. The note at the bottom about gas/ oil mix doesn't make sense.This is a 12 HP motor with an oil reservoir.

That is just a basic suggestion, has nothing to do with the parts or parts list for your mower!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I' still want a wiring diagram including the starter solenoid wiring. It has been out and I'm not convinced its been rewired right.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm on a laptop. Slow download. Your note about wire #'s aparently refers to a wire diagram I'm not seeing.

I didn't do anything on a wiring diagram. Just on the stator and regulator! I'll see if I can find one.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
reviewing the parts list I finally made sense about your # references.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. You have been very patient. Me, not so much!! Sorry.

Thank you! Please use the 5-star rating system to close the question when satisfied.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Going to have to break off and digest what you have provided. Thank You.

Thanks!

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician