Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Changed the oil in my Z 246 Kawasaki 21,5 HP mower. Noticed…

Changed the oil in...

Changed the oil in my Z 246 Kawasaki 21,5 HP mower. Noticed discoloration in the oil....was medium brown and not blackish. Also noted the smell of gasoline. The mower has about 30 hrs on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It was purchased new March 2017. Model 967 32 40 01

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends what problem may be. Not sure if covered by waranties.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nopoe

3/19/2018
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.
Is the smell of gas in your oil?
Have you checked the condition of your air filter?
gas smell came fro oil.
air filter is clean.
Thanks for your response. If you are smelling gas in your oil, this indicates that your carburetor is either slightly flooding, or running rich.
Is this the first time you have changed your oil?
first time
Due to this being your first oil change, I would go ahead and run your engine for a little while, to see if the gas smell returns.
Did you change your oil filter?
changed oil filter. Have not run engine other than to crank over.
I would also replace your air filter, just to be sure. Your air filter is a year old. Add a fuel additive to the fuel in your fuel tank. I recommend using Mechanic In A Bottle.
Did your engine smoke prior to you changing your oil?
No smoke.
How old is the gas you are using?
new gas
Did you have older gas left inside your fuel tank, before adding new gas?
This is a troubleshooting question.
1/4 tank old I would guess before we refilled.
The reason I asked, is because the old gas was stale, and possible caused the float in your carburetor to partially stick, and caused the issue with the gas smell in your oil.
Stale gas will turn to gum and varnish and cause carburetor related issues.
Gas will usually turn stale within 45 days.
I used stabil to avoid anygas problems.
Thanks for this information.
I do believe your engine is safe to run. The fuel additive will be beneficial.
Ok, Thanks. Will run it for a bit and keep eye on the oil. Also check gas consumption.
Awesome! You’re very welcome. I do hope all goes well for you.
When you have an opportunity, please take a moment to rate my service.
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician