Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My troy-bilt string trimmer TB6042 XP runs on position one…

Customer Question
My troy-bilt string trimmer...

My troy-bilt string trimmer TB6042 XP runs on position one and ran fine a couple minutes on position 3; then it died suddenly. It starts up on 1 and rapidly dies on 2 or 3. any suggestions.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

I've never seen a shut-off "valve". I have a button but it has to be pushed to turn it off. The fuel is not new but I used it about a month ago. I could change it out. Does that explain the symptoms? Also, thanks for your help.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, unless it gets too complex. What work?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I believe my model uses gas with no oil mixture...which I've been using for some time. I'll check my manual again. Remember it is theTB6042 XP

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/19/2018
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 4 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

sounds like the carb needs to be cleaned and rebuilt. you can purchase a brand new carb for these pretty cheap online and just bolt on