Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 30KW Generac generator that runs on Propane gas.

Customer Question
I have a 30KW...

I have a 30KW Generac generator that runs on Propane gas. During the 15 test run, the engine dies or slows down and then restarts. Sometimes shuts down completely. The maint. technician could not find the problem but thought it might be low pressure from the fuel tank. Test shows pressure okay. Never had a problem before regardless of how much fuel was in the tank. Any suggestions.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Generac model 04948. 12 years old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Major problem last year. Maintenance people replace battery charger, circuit board, and two transformers. Generator sometimes just stops when online but will restart. Acts like fuel stops.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/20/2018
Technician: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 3 months ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
I would like to continue. The company technicians here in Oklahoma City don't seem to know what the problem is. I have already spent several hundred dollars on service calls to no avail. The engine that drives the generator is a Ford Ranger V6 that runs on Propane instead of gas. Will appreciate any ideas you come up with. Thanks.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 3 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
I am sorry for the delay, but I am actually on vacation this week, down in the boonies of Texas. We have not had cell service where we are staying.
You only provided a partial model number. What is the full model number and serial number?
Model number: (###) ###-####Serial number: (###) ###-####Tested the unit again yesterday. Changed fuel tanks. Unit ran for 10 minutes, quit running for 10 seconds, resume running for 3 minutes, stopped for 5 seconds, resumed running and ran for 10 minutes until I shut it down. Never restarted itself , just stalled and resumed running. Generator was not under load. Hope this helps.
Have doctors appointment today at 12:30PM central time. Won't be back home until 5 PM.