Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Jacobs mower with a three cylinder diesel and it. I…

Customer Question
I have a Jacobs...

I have a Jacobs mower with a three cylinder diesel and it. I have checked the glow plugs injection and change the fuel still will not start. I have 125 pounds of compression on both and cylinders, but only 75 on the middle cylinder. Any suggestions would be welcome thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No, my mower doesn't use any more fuel than it normally did, until it wouldn't start again

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

This is a Jacobson mower with a three cylinder diesel engine I believe is a cup photo and I have checked the fuel injection glow plugs. I do have one week cylinder in the middle at 75 pounds it to end cylinders are at hundred and 25 pounds

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have checked the glow plugs I have checked the injectors I have changed the fuel and it still will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

As I said before I checked the compression I have 125 pounds of compression. The two end cylinders and I have 75 pounds in the middle cylinder

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/19/2018
Technician: MowerDocMD, Small Engine Technician replied 5 months ago
MowerDocMD
MowerDocMD, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am here to help you. The next step is to determine the reason for the loss of compression. The best way is with a cylinder leakage tester. It applies air from a compressor at a constant rate to allow you to find the problem. You are most likely looking for a blown head gasket, a scored cylinder or a problem with the valves. Let me know what you find and we'll continue. Thanks

-Brian