Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Onan 7,000 that starts, but dies soon after when cold. Will…

Customer Question
Onan 7,000 that starts...

Onan 7,000 that starts, but dies soon after when cold. Will continue to run if I hold throttle open at the carb until it warms up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes to both

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. Was a diesel mechanic for 18 years

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Seems to be related to the choke

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/18/2018
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 4 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What is the full model number of the genset?
Onan RV QG 7000
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 3 months ago

That is not a model number. It is a family class, which encompasses many different models.

I need to know the actual model number of your unit.

I’ll need to wait until Sunday to access the manual. Is there anything else you’ll need? I don’t store the RV at home.

Not until I know what model it is.

Model number 7HGJAB-900J

Ok.

This unit is a microprocessor controlled unit. It is capable of some self diagnostics, so lets go in and see if any codes are set.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?

For your spec J unit, I will also need the serial number.

15

I still need to know the serial number.

Remove the air filter, and see where the choke plate is. Is it fully closed when the engine is cold?

Start the unit. Does the choke open when it starts?