Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an American Eagle Diesel Pusher with an Onan 7.5 KW…

I have an American...

I have an American Eagle Diesel Pusher with an Onan 7.5 KW generator it ran fine last week when I went on vacation when I got ready to leave it startup when I got home I found it only gives me the blinking code lights of 34 and 36 I checked the air filter the oil level and coolant level I made sure the batteries are charged on the coach there's four of them they are fully charged when I pressed the start button on the generator itself I get nothing but the red blinking fault code light also nothing from the switches on the dash it's like it's not getting any power at all any suggestions

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes it is almost half way full

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would need a try myself I don't have the money at the moment to take it to a service center

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It does slide out with the mechanism in the front so I can access the panel's I checked all three fuses under the access panel and they were all good I've never had it at least not turn over but it does nothing

3/18/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
80HDKAK11454B
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Serial number a 9 5 3 1 2 3 4 5 6

Ok.

Did you actually pull those 3 fuses out and test them, or did you just look at them?

The reason I ask is that for some reason, these fuses have a bad habit of blwoing where you can not see it. They look just fine, but are actually blown.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I took the 2:15 amp fuses out and the blinking fault light stopped and resumed one side place them back in so I assume they work I looked at them well and could find no blown connection the 25 amp fuse I also pulled out and examine it closely and cant find anything wrong

The 25A fuse is for the glow plugs - it will not prevent the unit from cranking.

Pull the 15A fuses back out, and test them with a meter. Make sure they are not blown.

If they are good, put them back in.

Since this genset is mounted in the front of your coach, as you are standing in front of it, look to the front left corner. You will see a harness of small wires going to an 8-pin connector.

Unplug this connecter, and see if the genset will crank from the switch on the genset itself.

Will it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still getting fault code 34 and 36

Now you need to get underneath the genset, and get to the starter solenoid.

At the starter solenoid is a single small wire.

Test this wire for 12V while pressing the start button.

Is there 12V present at this wire?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I replaced the 2:15 amp fuses still nothing what side of the genset would that wire be

The starter is located on the same side of the engine as the oil filter, but at the opposite end.

As you face the genset, it will be on your right. If your right panel has a small access door, you can just remove it to access the starter. If there is no access door, you must remove the entire right hand panel.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it in the same compartment as the oil filter
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have a voltmeter or any way to test power at this current time

Yes, it is in the same compartment as the oil filter.

I have to know if voltage is getting to that wire or not.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I seem to have two wires there than I believe are going to the solenoid

There should be 1 large cable, and 1 small wire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah I think the wires I'm seeing it must be the fuel pump it appears the starter is behind the fuel filter

No, the fuel pump is at he pulley end of the engine. The starter and solenoid are at the flywheel end.

To the left of the fuel filter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see them now I had to pull the generator in some to take a full View they both seem secure but I don't have a way of testing

There is nothing I can do until I know if there is voltage on that wire or not.

Right now, with the code 34, it is looking like the inverter is bad. The inverter is about $2000. It would be nice to fully test before you change the inverter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's 11 what type of meter should I purchase I may have to resume this tomorrow
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there any way to check at the solenoid I know on my old Camaro I used to have to use a screwdriver to connect the two points on the solenoid to get it to start

Yes, it is after 11 here, also - and I have to get up at 5 to go to work.

Any multimeter will do. You can get a very inexpensive one for less than $20.

You can do that just to see if the engine will crank, but all that will tell you is that you have battery voltage to the starter. It will not tell if voltage is coming through the inverter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay I will pick one up at the Home Depot tomorrow
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help have a good day at work

Ok.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I bought a multimeter and if I'm doing it right I place the red probe into the end of The Wire wasn't quite sure where to place the negative or if I needed to but I didn't get any power coming out of that wire unless I did it wrong I did put them on the battery input cables and actually got 27 volts there so there seems to be power coming to the generator

When testing for voltage, you always need to have both meter leads connected.

When testing for DC voltage, you have the red lead connected to the hot, and the black lead to a good ground.

When testing AC voltage, you connect either lead to hot, and the other to neutral.

When you got 27 volts on the battery cables, did you have the meter set to DC or AC?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
AC probably
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When testing for that solenoid wire should I set it to AC or DC don't have much experience with the multimeter

Both of those checks should have been on DC.

DC is battery voltage. AC is household current.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay I will attempt to recheck it tomorrow I had to help my daughter out today move some furniture and didn't get much time to look at it

No problem.

I will be on the road all day tomorrow - it may be late before I will be able to reply.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am working 4 12 hour night shifts in a row so I don’t have any time to work on issue right now, if there is no power coming through that wire from the inverter, is there any other mechanism that could cause it to have no power other than it just needs replacing,, Thanks

Nope, the inverter powers the solenoid directly.

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician