Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Onan 4000 RV gas generator. Is this something you can help

Customer Question

This is for an onan 4000 RV gas generator. Is this something you can help with?
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Onan 4000 gen set. Model 4.0GBE is from 1994
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: not sure
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Ran for about 15 minutes twice. Now it does start when I press either start button but generator shuts off as soon as button is released. Fuel is full tank and oil has been changed and is almost to full line on dip stick. Spark plug has been changed.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 8 months ago.

The single most common cause of this issue is that the set is no longer producing electricity.

Remove the control panel from the front of the genset.
Set your meter to ACV.
Connect the black lead to a good ground.
Connect the red lead to the back of the circuit breaker, on the terminal farthest away from you.
Press and hold the start button for 6 - 8 seconds, and note the voltage.
How much voltage is there?
.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello Hank, thanks for your response. I take it when you say to remove the control panel from the front of genset that I am to keep it connected electrically which is what I did. With finger on start button and generator running I had 1.1vac on rear breaker terminal. I also went to the other terminal in case breaker was wired backwards from what you stated. I received no vac on that terminal. My guess is the voltage reg. but I will await your response.
Thanks again.Jeff
Expert:  Hank F. replied 8 months ago.

Sorry, I was at work.

I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings. At work, if things are going good, I can usually answer a couple of questions during break.

But today, right after I posted to you, things went to pot, and I didn't get another chance to reply.

What is the full model number of your genset? There are like 19 variations of the BGE series.