Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a grasshopper 727 efi with a Kohler ech749-3033

I have a grasshopper...

I have a grasshopper 727 efi with a Kohler ech749-3033 engine. It will start and run great when you first start it, but after a short time it will start to run rough and want to die. If I turn off the PTO it won't die, but will still run rough at high rpm. If I throttle down it will still run. If I turn it off and let it cool down it will run fine again for awhile, but after warming up again it will do the same thing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes on all of that

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if it's not too involved. Spark plugs, filters and fuel pump I'm comfortable with

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so

3/17/2018
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Sounds like you have an ignition coil cutting out. Check plugs and let me know what color they are
One is dirty and black. The other is pretty clean, almost a touch of white color to it.
Stop that is dirty and black is running rich Rasheeda because too much fuel going to that side or there's not enough spark to burn off all of the fuel replace most spark plugs and see if this helps your issue if not you maybe start by regapping the ignition coil
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Finally had time Saturday to work on it again. Ended up being the vacuum line from the crankcase to the fuel pump. Replaced line and seems to be running fine. Thanks for your help.