Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

There is no snowmobile section so I’ll just ask here if

Hey! there is no snowmobile...
Hey! there is no snowmobile section so I’ll just ask here if that’s ok. My snowmobile won’t start for some reason, it’s got new plugs, spark, compression and gas but it won’t start!? Sometimes it gets heavy too pull and locks up
But some gas in the cylinders and it’s like normal again, but it just won’t start! Why?
3/17/2018
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

If you have some carburetor cleaner in a can, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start up and run briefly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve tried some gasoline in the carb and even in the cylinders but still nothing.

Thanks for your response. If using gas in your carburetor did not cause your engine to start, we need to determine if you are getting spark to your spark plug.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Checked earlier today and they have a nice blue spark.

What brand is your engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Rotax 464

Thanks for this information. I am not familiar with that engine. If you like, I can opt and give one of the other experts an opportunity to assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure go ahead

Awesome! I do hope all goes well for you. Thank you again for choosing Just Answer. After I opt out, please do not respond to me. Your response will lock your question to me, and lock other experts out.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Two-cycle engine? If you hold a hand over carburetor throat, does it have good vacuum when cranking? Is the exhaust open, a two-cycle has to have open exhaust, or it will not fire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Isn’t the exhaust always open on a two stroke?

It can be plugged with debris! I'm talking tail pipe and muffler!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will check that as soon as I can!

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I notice that when I pull the engine without plugs the right cylinder is filled with gasoline and it never stops. But the left one is completely empty. Last time I drove it, it Bogged like crazy and then died and I haven’t been able too start it since.

For the cylinder to fill with fuel the carburetor has to be dumping fuel through the needle valve and float. Carburetor needs attention!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But why is only one cylinder getting filled? Could it be the reeds?

Reed valve would affect both cylinders as they are below the carburetor. Do you have the same compression on both cylinders?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Don’t know and can’t check unless I can use my hand to feel a difference.

You can use the finger and rag test, it would give a good idea if both are equal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I removed the carb, held it upside down and blew as hard as I could into the fuel inlet and needle didn’t let any air trough. I removed the plugs and the pulse line from the pump and when I Pulled a bunch of grey fuel came flying out of the line. Poured some gas in the cylinders and put on the plugs and pulled and I got a little cough. This was without the carb on, with it on it doesn’t start but it doesn’t fill the engine with gasoline.

Did you do the finger compression test? Do you get good suction on the carburetor if you hold a hand over it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. It’s kinda hard to do if you’re alone and it only has pull start.

Yes, I see! Can you borrow a compression gage, or rent one from auto supply?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live in the middle of nowhere so it’s hard too get one let alone rent one

You have spark on both plugs? Do you have another set of plugs to try? A new spark plug can make all the difference in the world.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The plugs are new. Bought them after it stopped running.

Do you have spark to both plugs?

Did you spin the engine with the plugs removed until all the fuel was out of the cylinders?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Spun it until no more fuel was coming out of the cylinders or the pulse line

I see nothing unusual about this engine, so with it not starting, would seem to be either a compression problem or crankshaft seals leaking, not letting the fuel be drawn into the cylinders.

I assume you have a manual on the engine? Here is manual with the 464 included if you need.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even with bad crank seals it should start if you pour some gas in the cylinders right? My neighbor helped me one day and he put his thumb on the plugs holes and he said the comp is fine. He’s a mechanic.

It may not as the cylinders are open to the crankcase on the two cycle.

Can't be timing, and there are no valves on two cycle, Simple engine, and something is just not right!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could the seals have caused the bog in the engine? When it was working it was very sensitive to the choke while warm. Died as soon as you touch it

As crank seals deteriorate, performance drops, until it gets where t will not start. It could cause the bogging.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I change the seals without tearing the whole engine apart? Can I just remove the clutch, flywheel and coils?

Yes, seals can be replaced without going any deeper.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician