Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a snapper rear tine tiller with a 4 hp briggs and…

I have a snapper...

I have a snapper rear tine tiller with a 4 hp briggs and Stratton engine. The original engine needs to be replaced, and I need to know what engine or engines would be suitable replacements. Engine model number is ***** type 0853 code 89083003

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the tiller? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is a snapper tiller. I think the model number is ***** 4002 B or 85320. Not sure, cannot find on tiller.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so, just need replacement engines.

3/16/2018
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

Original Engine Information

Original Engine(###) ###-####01

Crankshaft:Check IPL for Crankshaft Information

Replacement Engine Information

Replacement Engine:NO REPLACEMENT ENGINE IS AVAILABLE

Replacement Shortblock:No Replacement Shortblock is available

this one will swap over

ENGINE IS:(###) ###-####01

You listed a engine that would swap over. Please explain. Would I have to change some things to make it work?

YOU MAY POSSIBLY HAVE TO MOVE THE THROTTLE ON IT. OR JUST USE THE HAND THROTTLE ON THE ENGINE. THERE IS NO DIRECT REPLACMENT FOR THE CURRENT ENGINE LISTED THROUGH BRIGGS AND STRATTON. EVERYTHING ELSE WOULD BE FINE ON THE MACHINE

JON
JON, Small Engine Technician