Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My Deere zero turn mower with a briggs and stratton 44S677…

My John Deere zero...

My John Deere zero turn mower with a briggs and stratton 44S677 engine won't start unless I shoot raw fuel into the intake, then it starts and runs fine - it seems like the choke is operating properly, but not sure what else to check

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, shut off valve is open, fresh fuel, new fuel filter, engine will run fine once it starts, just won't start without shot of raw fuel

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just wanted some ideas on what to check next

3/16/2018
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

remove the fuel line from the carb and see if fuel pumps out of the pump as the engine turns over. if not, the fuel pump needs replaced.

if fuel does pump out, you will want to check the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb. can you hear a clicking noise when you turn the key to the ON position? hold your hand on it as you turn the key ON and you should feel the needle inside drop down. if not, remove this fuel solenoid and plug it back up. when you turn the key ON, there is a small needle valve that will pull inwards when it has power. if it doesn't move, this will need to be replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
ok thanks for your input, will do the checks this morning - thanks again
Jon, I replaced the fuel pump, made sure the feed from the crankcase works ok and checked the fuel solenoid - still difficult to start. Now things have evolved into gasoline filling the power cylinder overnight, with large amount of gas fumes filling the garage - if the cylinder doesn't hydro lock needing the plugs pulled to empty the gas - I still, always get raw fuel shooting out exhaust. I pulled the carb off the engine and the float valve seems to work ok, not sticking and the float itself is not full of fuel like it was cracked. I turn the ignition on and off and the solenoid cycles fine. I took the fuel tank off and the "vent" shuttle valve appears to be ok and tried just leaving the screw on lid loose - no impact. I am kind of out of ideas with this - would be thrilled to have your input. The mower runs fine once you get it started but leaks like a sieve overnight into the power cylinder.

if the fuel leaked into the cylinder, this is due to the carb not sealing at some time after shut down. I would install an inline fuel shut off and manually shut the fuel off once you are done using the machine.