Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Kohler engine that runs on LP Gas on a welder, in…

I have a Kohler...

I have a Kohler engine that runs on LP Gas on a welder, in normal temperatures the engine runs fine, when i get in colder temperatures (-20 to -30 degrees F) the engine starts cutting out. In the past the engine ran fine in the colder temperatures, then out of the blue I started having this problem. Have tried talking to small engine repair shops but no one works with propane.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes the tank is full, we have tried changing tanks to no avail, we have also used the same propane supplier for years so nothing has changed there.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is something that we can do ourselves then yes we will

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I cant think of anything else at the moment

3/16/2018
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Since you have indicated that your problem only occurs when it gets cold out(-20 to -30 degrees) I would ask if you have tried to run the machine with the air filter removed during these times. My guess is that the fuel system is icing up in the cold temps which will cause the engine to either perform very poorly or not run at all. I see this happen a lot especially on service vehicles that are being used outdoors in the cold weather. I have several tire repair shops in my area that are running air compressors in the cold weather like this and they have to remove the air filters in order to be able to work in the cold weather.

Thanks for choosing to use our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician