Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

We have an onan generator 1.0KJ-1P/1A and need the lower…

We have an onan...

We have an onan generator 1.0KJ-1P/1A and need the lower throttle spring number(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Onan 1.0KJ-1P/1A approximately 8 years old. K1000 tag along

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The part number is(###) ###-####but cannot find one

3/16/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

I know this is not what you are wanting to hear, but that spring has been obsolete for years.

I can assure you your generator is much more than 8 years old - the spring has been obsolete that long.

Although you will not find that spring through Onan, all hope is not lost.

If you have the old spring, or at least what's left of it, you can take it to a small engine shop and have a close enough match found. It is just a governor spring, and specs aren't as critical as in some other places.

If you don't have any of the old spring, you shouldn't have any problem taking the whole unit in and finding a close enough replacement to make it work. The carb and governor will need to be properly readjusted after installation.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician