Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a generac 7200watt generator put my meter across 2…

Customer Question
I have a generac...

I have a generac 7200watt generator put my meter across 2 legs of power have 250v, with no warning all of a sudden I have 175v on one leg only nothing on other does this sound like it needs an AVR replacement?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Model # 01277-0 generac it’s an older one not sure how old

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don’t think sp

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/14/2018
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 4 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Where exactly are you placing your meter leads when testing voltage?

Across the 2 hot legs of 30a receptacle

If you are testing across both hot legs, how did you determine that one leg had 175 volts, and the other had none?

When I had leads across 2 hot legs had 250v then I had 175v across them checked each leg to ground one had nothing the other had 175v

Ok.

Open up the receptacle panel.

At the back side of the main circuit breakers, locate the wires numbered 11 and 44 (NOT 11A and 44A).

At the back of any of the receptacles, locate the wire numbered 22.

With your meter on AC volts, test voltage from 11 to 22, then 44 to 22.

What voltage is it showing?

Now set the meter to frequency, and test both wires again.

What frequency is each showing?

Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 3 months ago

Have you tested this yet?