Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a WinCo wc12000he generator and has no power output.

Customer Question
I have a WinCo...

I have a WinCo wc12000he generator and has no power output

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

WinCo wc12000he maybe 5 years old

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Its a brushless generator I replaced the capacitors and the rotor and still no power
3/14/2018
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 4 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello,my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

The field may just need to be flashed.

1. Remove the spark plug wire – you do not want the engine to start while doing this.
2. Obtain an old extension cord that you can cut one end off, or an old power cord from an appliance (you will need the male end left on the cord).
3. This step not needed.
4. Note how on the receptacle, one slot is longer than the other. This longer slot is the negative slot. It is critical that you get it hooked up correctly.
5. Determine which wire of the cord will go to the negative slot.
6. Connect the negative wire to the negative terminal of a 12V battery.
7. Connect the positive wire to the positive terminal of the battery.
8. Plug the cord into the receptacle and pull the starter cord 6-8 times.
9. Immediately unplug the cord. DO NOT LEAVE THE CORD PLUGGED IN FOR MORE THAN 6 OR 8 SECONDS.
10. Disconnect the wires from the battery.
11. Reconnect the spark plug wire and see if the set is now producing electricity.

Will this work on a brushless generator and will it work on GFIs

Yes, it will work on both brush type and brushless units. GFI makes no difference either way. It is just a circuit breaker.

The only end I have is a replacement cord with 3 wires white black green green is ground I know and the other two are hots do I just hook up on to the positive side of the battery or both
Just tried it still no power
What else can I try to get this going

Open up the box that holds the terminal strip.

There should be black wires at terminals 1 and 4, and white wires at terminals 2 and 3.

Take a resistance reading across terminals 1 and 2, then 3 and 4, then 1 and 3.

What readings do you get?

There are 2 white wires and 2 blacks coming from the stator they are now marked like that tho the 2 white wires u2. V2 and the blacks are on V1 and w1
if I go to V1 black to u1 white I get 000.4 resistance. Then w1 to V2 I get 006.0. And then V1 to V2. 000.3
Did you get my results?

Sorry, I was at work. I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings.

According to the wiring diagram, there should not be a wire connected to U1 at all.

Has someone been inside this unit changing things?

There are 2 power windings in the stator. Each has a white lead and a black lead.

Across each winding, there should be about 0.1 ohms resistance, and between windings there should be no continuity at all.

Disconnect all 4 wires and test from one black to a white. Then from the same black to the other white. One of them should read about 0.1 ohms, and the other should get no reading.

Now do the same with the other black wire, to each white wire. One should read about 0.1 ohms, and the other should get no reading.

Now test black to black. There should be no reading.

They both have have reading on opposite wires 0.3
Are you saying that both black wires show continuity to both white wires?
V1 shows continuity to both U2 and V2?
One black shows resistance to one white and the other black to the other white show resistance

Are you certain that none of those wires had been moved between terminals?

I pulled them all off to get those reading but I'm not sure if they were moved before

As I stated earlier, according to the wiring diagram, there is not even supposed to be a wire on U1.

Ok where should I put wires

According to the wiring diagram, the wires of one coil, black goes to W1, and white goes to U2.

On the other coil, black goes to V1, and white to V2.

To get 120/240 capability, there must also be a jumper installed between U2 and V2.

There is a jumper but it's between the 2 White's

And it should be. The whites should be on U2 and V2. That is the common leg.

Ok so that's how it is wired but I'm still not getting power is it my stator
There's red wires coming from the stator as well that go to the capacitors
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 3 months ago

Discharge the capacitors, and remove the red wires from them.

Ohm across the red wires. They should read about 1.2 ohms.

Now ohm from a red wire to any of the black or white wires. There should be no continuity.

Then lets try something.

Reconnect the caps.

Remove the jumper between U2 and V2.

Double check that the black wire at W1 is the one that shows continuity to the white one at U2.

If not, make it so.

Then start the genset, and carefully test for voltage across W1 and U2, then across V1 and V2.

Are either of these showing voltage?

Across the red wires I get 0.4 ohms
No ohms from either red wire to either black or white
They both show 1.9 volts from w1 to U2 and from V1 to v2
Does this mean anything
I still need help?
Sorry, headed for a hunting trip to Texas. So far out in the boonies we don't have cell service.
Just heading in to Dallas to pick someone up. Taking advantage of a couple hours of service.
Everything you have tested says it is good. I don't know where else to go without being able to get my hands on this one.