Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a cub cadet 2166, I had just put a carburator kit in…

Customer Question
I have a cub...

I have a cub cadet 2166, I had just put a carburator kit in it and now it wont start witht he key switch. I did get it started by jumping the starter, but when I released the brake it dies. Any thoughts on this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Clean fuel and getting fuel to the carb.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/14/2018
Technician: MowerDocMD, Small Engine Technician replied 5 months ago
MowerDocMD
MowerDocMD, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I would like to help you resolve this issue. It sounds like the problem is with the seat switch. This could be the switch itself or one of the components of the safety circuit. Are you comfortable with a volt/ohm meter?

but as a test for that switch I removed the wires and taped them together to rule out the switch, I still had the same problem
Ok. Did you also try with the wires separated? That is a more common setup, where sitting in the seats breaks the connection instead of creating a connection.