Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I was half way through snow blowing and pushing uphill when…

I was half way...

I was half way through snow blowing and pushing uphill when my Ariens 24 Compact stalled and now wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Full tank, shut-off open, new fuel, cleaned sparkplug

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes ideally - we are in the middle of a blizzard

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Ran very well three days ago and this morning

3/13/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Are you getting fuel to the carburetor inlet line from the tank? With spark plug removed and grounded to the engine metal, do you have spark when cranking?

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Don’t know. I took out the spark plug and cleaned it but that didn’t help. How can I tell if there’s fuel coming from the fuel line? Do I need to remove the carburetor cup?
Phone call session started

Thank you1

Hi Curtis. Please call back. I have fuel and spark and took off carberator cup and cleaned it. Have float removed but can't find spray cleaner. Only have berryman B-16 cleaner. Should I remove carberator and soak or wait for snow to stop to buy spray cleaner? Thx

Did you have fuel flowing at the carburetor with bowl removed? I have been out with honey, cleaning flower beds!

for fuel is flowing with ball removed. I’m back near my phone sorry to miss your calls

thanks!

Unfortunately after cleaning the carburetor it still wouldn’t start. I’m going to have to take it in for service but I’m wondering what you think might be the next most likely problem. Faulty coil? It had started flawlessly for five years including this morning so I feel like something must’ve failed

Does it have compression? Measured by holding your finger over spark plug hole while cranking. If it has compression spark and fuel, the timing key may have sheared,

I will check tomorrow. Thx!

OK<

I do have compression so I am going to drop my blower off at the local power equipment shop. I don't think I can take on replacing the flywheel key. It doesn't seem too hard based on what I have seen online but the torque and safety issues are sending me to a pro. Thanks for your help though. We ruled out the easy stuff so I feel better paying for service :-)

OK> Thanks. please use the 5-star rating system to close the question.