Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a ferris zero turn is3100 z. It will not start on it…

I have a ferris...

I have a ferris zero turn is3100 z. It will not start on it own. I have check out and put all new safety switches on it. The ignition switch checks out. I can run a hot wire to starter solenoid starts and operates fine. I just cannot get the switch to start it

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes in one tank but not both. I start it by hot wiring it and it runs fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't seem to have a ground to make the one relay to connect power to solenoid wire

3/12/2018
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
If the switch checks out, but you can jump the solenoid to start the engine, the solenoid needs to be replaced as it is not switching the power from battery side to the starter.
Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you.
Please remember to rate me as I strive to do my best and your rating helps me to achieve this.
You can use a multi meter and check the starter side of the solenoid for voltage once the key is turned to start, if you have no voltage, solenoid is bad and needs replaced.
How is it bad when it is not getting power to the small wire that activates the solenoid. I get power to the relay before it but no power to the wire to solenoid
But there is no power going to the solenoid for it to work.
Sorry, didn't read where it stated no power on small wire. I am assuming fuse is good, since mower will start. If you follow that wire, do you have power at the lead? Sounds like ignition switch is bad. How was ignition switch tested?
With a continuity check
It like when I check the relay out it is not getting a ground for the coil part of the relay to work. I get power to the relay when switch is put to the start position but the relay is not putting the power to wire that goes to solenoid wire
With key off, you have continuity to the M terminal ?
You have continuity to the B terminal when key it turned to start?If so, the issue is between the ignition switch and the solenoid, which would be a bad relay
You can also try running jumper wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid with nothing between them and see if engine will start.
After you jump machine, does everything operate as normal?
I change the other relay out with that one and same results. It also has a time delay relay. I have new relays coming. Also i already put new time delay on it. But it's like i have lost a ground. Let me ask this. If i run a hot wire with a fuse inline from battery to a push button starter switch then a wire to solenoid will it still charge and everything ok
I have mowed with it and operated everything thoroughly. All The safety switches work properly and everything. I just cannot start it with the ignition switch. I don't understand where I lost the ground
you should be fine. You can run a wire straight from the B terminal of switch to the solenoid and the key should start it, or just keep jumping it until the new relay gets there so you don't do any other work that you will just do away with in a few days anyways
I loose the ground to the coil part of the relay
If the battery is currently charging properly, and everything is working as normal once you jump engine, sounds like all grounds are good.
Are you able to turn engine off with key
I will try running a wire directly from the switch. I just was worrying about having no ground if the battery would not charge
it stops the engine fine. Or I can stop it with any safety switches are activated
Jump machine and test the voltage at the battery to see what it is. It should be charging back fine
That's what confusing me on this other
Will do. I thought about just running one grounded wire to that one side of the relay that is not grounding
now what is my charge for this one time problem
I am unsure how the charges are done here. I help answer questions here when I have free time from my shop.Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you.
Please remember to rate me as I strive to do my best and your rating helps me to achieve this
Great discussing this with you have a GREAT day now
I am here if you need anything else.
Ratings are important here and I try to give my best. I'm here after you rate service and don't hesitate to contact me again
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician