Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have portable generator that kicks back when I pull the…

I have portable generator...

I have portable generator that kicks back when I pull the chord. I removed the spark plug and pull chord and can manually rotate the engine only so far in either direction.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Powermate 3250 it's only about three years old

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It was running fine one night, next morning went to start it and it backfired and from there would not start.

3/11/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

ok

You have a broken engine, with the spark plug removed. use a probe int the cylinder, feeling for the piston, then rotate the engine and see if the piston is moving. No movement, you have a broken piston or connecting rod and the engine will need extensive repair!

Well, I did remove the spark plug and valve cover and the rotated the crank. I do see the valves move.

Yes, but is the piston moving? You have to use a probe to feel for it!

ok I will do that, thanks.

OK>

Ok, so the piston is moving. When I manually rotate the crank it only moves until the piston reaches the top. Is this normal? Or should it go through the full rotation?

It should go through the full rotation. If it locks, the engine has internal parts broken.

That's what I suspected. Thanks for your help.

Sorry, it is not better news, please use the 5-star rating system to close the question and get me credit!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Sure will, thanks again.

Thank you!