Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

How do you remove the stator from a Generac generator model…

How do you remove...

How do you remove the stator from a Generac generator model XT8000E

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

2 yrs old, Briggs and Stratton, model(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nothing that I can think of at this moment

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

To remove the stator, first remove the end cover of the generator.

Inside, remove the brush block, and remove any wiring connecting the stator to the receptacle panel.

Remove the 4 long mounting bolts.

Use a puller to gently pull the bearing carrier off.

Then you can carefully pull the stator off. Do not let the stator slide along the rotor, as it can scratch and weaken the windings.

It is very possible to have a burnt stator, and the rotor can be just fine. Take a look at it when you pull the stator.

You must support the stator while removing it. It is impossible to not let it touch the rotor, but dont' just grab it and yank it off, dragging it heavily on the rotor.

In the pictures that I sent, does the bolt in the center need to be removed as well?
No. That is the rotor through-bolt. It holds the rotor and bearing in place. You want to pull the carrier off the bearing, leaving the bearing on the rotor. This ensures proper bearing alignment when reinstalling the carrier b
Can you provide a little more information as to how to remove the carrier. Once the 4 thin bolts are removed, does the stator just slide off the rotor?

As per my previous instructions, you pull out the 4 long bolts, and use a gear puller to gently remove the bearing carrier.

Then you pull the stator off. It should just slide off, but sometimes may stick and need to be gently tapped with a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer to loosen it up.

Was this what you wanted to know?

I believe so. I'm not 100% sure what you are calling the bearing carrier though.
The bearing carrier is the part that holds the bearing. The aluminum spider looking thing that covers the end of the stator.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
I gotcha now