Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My generac 7500 will not start. I drained all the gas and…

My generac 7500 will...

My generac 7500 will not start. I drained all the gas and placed new gas in. Are used carburetor cleaner in the carburetor. I also put new oil in the engine. It is relatively new and it’s only been running for two hours. I drained all the gas and placed new gas in. Are used carburetor cleaner in the carburetor. I also put new oil in the engine. It is relatively new and it’s only been running for two hours.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes. New fuel. The shut off valve is open

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to try

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am not sure why it is not starting I am not sure why it is not starting

3/11/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

1. What are the model and serial number of the genset?

2. You said that the unit only has 2 hours on it, but how long has it been since the genset has been run?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It has been at Least one year since it is been run. I don’t have the serial number available with me right now.

It's kind of hard to help when I don't even know what you have.

But since you said you drained all the gas, I am going to assume this is a portable unit, and not a home standby or marine unit, or RV unit.

If it has been over a year since you have run it, there is a very good chance your carburetor has gone bad.

First, check to see if you are getting spark to the spark plug/plugs (see, I can't even tell you how many there are if I don't know what you have).

To check for spark, remove the spark plug wire from thespark plug.

Remove the spark plug from the cylinder.

Attach the spark plug wire to the spark plug.

Using insulated tools so you do not get shocked, hold thebase of the plug to the bare metal of the engine.

Crank the engine and observe the plug for spark. Thereshould be a bright blue spark jumping the gap of the spark plug.

Check all cylinders.

Is there spark present?

If not, there is a problem in the ignition system.

If you have spark, remove the air filter.

While cranking the engine, spray in some carb cleaner.

Will it fire on carb cleaner?

If so, the carburetor has gone bad, and will need to be rebuilt or replaced, depending on the model.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Phone call session started

I tried calling 3 times, but you are not picking up.

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician