Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 6 month old Stihl 250 chain saw that has only had 1…

I have a 6...

I have a 6 month old Stihl 250 chain saw that has only had 1 tank of gas run through it, which I ran until empty this fall. It won't start now. I followed the cold start instructions in the manual.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, I filled the tank with Stihl pre-mixed fuel

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if possible

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I didn't know there was a fuel shut off valve.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
What type of fuel did you use when you ran it empty?
How did it sit before next use?
I ran one tank of Stihl pre-mixed fuel last fall, which I ran until the engine stopped. I then filled the tank with Stihl pre-mixed fuel (and filled the bar oil tank too) today, and it would not start. There is no manual primer pump that I can find on my MS 250.
I ran the tank dry in November, 2016 (per the instructions from the Stihl dealer).
Correction, November, 2017
Sounds like the carb needs a new kit installed. Running to take dry is not good for the gaskets. If you are using pre-mixed fuel you can leave it's in the saw year round
Sounds like a trip to the dealer. It is still under warranty, and I followed their directions!
It should be but knowing a dealer they will tell you no because it is fuel-related.
Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to rate me as I strive to do my best and your rating helps me to achieve this
It is really up to the dealer.
Being as you did use their fuel, I would make it an issue for them to cover this and resolve this
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
I have only run the fuel they put in it when I bought it, and then put fuel I bought from them in today.
Thanks, I'll visit the dealer Monday morning.