Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have onan 5000 on a motor home. Last time we used it it…

Customer Question
I have onan 5000...

I have onan 5000 on a motor home. Last time we used it it was working fine and suddenly shut down and wont start back but it will run as long as you hold the start button down... where do i start with fixing the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, I have fuel to the carb and I have spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes... I am a ase certified mechanic

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 4 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

5bgefa26100n

Cool. The BGE series are my favorite to work on - they are by far the easiest to troubleshoot.

The single most common cause of this issue is that the set is no longer producing electricity.

The first thing you need to do, though, is to check your oil level and make sure it is full.
Low oil pressure will also shut the set down.

If the oil is good, remove the control panel from the front of the genset.
Set your meter to ACV.
Connect the black lead to a good ground.
Connect the red lead to the back of the circuit breaker (either one), on the terminal farthest away from you.
Press and hold the start button for 6 - 8 seconds, and note the voltage.
How much voltage is there?
.

Have you checked on this yet?

Hello, have you checked on this yet?