Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 2010 Cub Cadet Z-Force. My drive belt went out last…

Customer Question
I have a 2010...

I have a 2010 Cub Cadet Z-Force. My drive belt went out last Fall.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I also meant to write that I replaced the drive belt this week. But the forward movement is off and on. How do I adjust it? Do I need to change the hydraulic filter and fluid? I changed it about 100 hours ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, I wanted to try and do myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Last Fall I had to pull it or tow down the street to get it home. We had it in neutral. I would not think that would affect it. Thanks,

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/10/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

The tractor has two transmissions, with a common drive belt. If both sides act up, it will be the drive belt. Either it is not tight, and idler spring may be loose or missing, or the drive pulley on the engine is slipping.

The idler is not loose. I am not sure about the drive pulley but the belt is turning fine. It works find in reverse, but the forward drive is slow to engage.

One side or both? Only thing common is the drive pulley and drive belt and idler.

Both, the right seems to engage a little better. I am thinking that the hydraulic arms may need to be adjusted in some way?? I have not used it in 5 months. I do not think by not using it that it would make a difference. Thanks Will

You have opened and closed the release levers that let it freewheel