Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

General 25kw liquid cooled generator. Running fine for Last…

Customer Question
General 25kw liquid cooled...

General 25kw liquid cooled generator. Running fine for Last 6

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Days, turned off this morning to top off oil and coolant. Will not restart, over speed warning light comes on when you select auto or manual. Does not crank beforehand.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Make is Generac. 1.6l propane version. R-200 control panel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If I can do it I will. Sitting in the dark now after no power for 7 days. Heating technician that came out today unable to diagnose

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/10/2018
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 3 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial number of the genset?

Hi Hank,Here's the info you requested.Model #:(###) ###-####1.6l LP 25kW Generac Guardian Quietsource Generator
Age (approx.) 2006Thanks

OK.

The first thing you need to do is to have the battery tested. Do not rely on a voltmeter, as even a bad battery can read fully charged with 12 volts, but not have enough ampacity to do any work. If the battery is not good, nothing we do will be of value.

If the battery tests good, locate the start contactor mounted on the back side of the control box.

It looks just like a Ford type starter relay.

There should be 2 large red wires attached to one of the big posts. These wires will be numbered 13. There should be a smaller wire attached to the other large post, numbered 16.

The 2 small terminals should each have 1 wire attached to them, numbers 0 and 56.

Test for voltage at wire 13. You should have a minimum of 12 volts.

Now test for voltage on wire 16 while setting the switch to the MANUAL position. You should also have 12 volts here.

What do these checks show?

Generator is controlled by a Generac R200-A Digital Controller

Yes it is.