Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 1999 yamaha kodiak 400 atv. Ground wire coming of…

I have a 1999...

I have a 1999 yamaha kodiak 400 atv. Ground wire coming of of battery ground that is spliced into wiring harness has melted (12" section) and noticed smoke coming from ignition switch when trying to start bike. What would have caused ground wire to melt

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have changed out the ignition coil and new plug. also changed out CDI box

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

ground wire will melt if a power wire come in contact with it. sounds like an ignition switch issue has caused this burning of the wires.

you will need to use a multimeter to ohm test the switch and see if contacts are staying opened/closed when they should be the opposite

JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
JON
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician