Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My riding mower doesn't move when I put it in gear. My mower…

My riding mower doesn't...

My riding mower doesn't move when I put it in gear.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

My mower is three years old. I'll have to get the manual to find the model.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

13cc26jd011 model number. Last spring the same thing happened. We pushed it out of the garage, fooled with it a bit. Suddenly it went into gear and worked well all summer. Last mowing it suddenly won't move again. What causes this problem? (Bought spring of 2014.)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

My shift lever seems to engage. We can push the mower in neutral, but not in reverse or forward. However the mover doesn't move.

3/9/2018
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Sounds like you need a new motion drive belt as they will stretch over time.
Since it worked well all summer, after the first incident, could it be something else?
Could be, but being as it happened while using last year, it may be caused after the belt heats up and it will start slipping in the drive pulleys.What all was fooled with last time this happened?
Is it a hydrostatic
We are not ready to work on the mower at the present time. I just wanted to get information as to what the possible problem might be. Thank you.
Is this a hydrostatic
Let me pull the diagrams to see of other possible issues. Drive belt is #1. If it is a hydrostatic mower, the bypass valve can cause this same issue
I would suggest drive belt(s).
You actually have two belts that drive the mower on this machine.Look under the mower but above the deck at the drive belt make sure it is around all of the pulleys.
You have a series of idler and tensioner pulleys in the middle of the mower if the belt is loose or has came off any of these pulleys it can cause this issue
Not a hydrostatic.
Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to rate me as I strive to do my best and you're rating helps me to achieve this.
I am available for further info if needed after rating, just return and respond as you have been
What was fooled with last time - We pushed the brake lever several times, pushed the gear shift lever a number of times, and all at once it seemed to go into gear and it worked.
Sounds as though the issue is in the belt system. I would check to ensure belt is on and around all pulleys properly. Also check the belt tension and also the side(groove) of belt for smoothness
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician