Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an older Chamberlain door that I need to know how to…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older Chamberlain door that I need to know how to change/program. I have no owner's manual. The serial number? is 41A3627

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About 2 months now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have 2 doors. It is Stanley unit. Sometimes when I open the door on the Stanley, it also operates the door on the Chamberlain, but not always.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

This is a garage door opener.....

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/9/2018
Technician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 4 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hello ..........what we need to do first is you’ll have to erase everything and then re program .....BUT ........reprogram one at a time...............please follow these instructions explicitly and in its sequence………

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS:

hold down the LEARN buttons on both of the openers for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET:

unplug both openers......remove all batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have battery back-ups.....there is no battery in the wall transmitter…..plug back in ONE of the openers and replace the batteries for the one which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? If not contact me again........hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do..........except if you have a built-in car remote of course

then go to the other opener plug it back in ........replace the batteries........ reprogram and test each the same way ………..don't forget to use the different remote or different buttons on the remote

Please let me know

Thanks

eddie

Eddie, I’ve decided to call a technician. Thanks for your response. We’ve had problems with these doors in the past and finally resorted to having a technician called out.Bill

Bill to be a straight shooter with you ........I wouldn't ..........the reason being I can get to where the problem lies and if its is in your comfort zone to try and fix then I would try that first because this is just a nominal cost as compared to calling in service........a lot of times the control board may be fried or the unit is just old and tired ...........that's what I would save for a replacement.......service is going to come in and band-aid or fix it for a while ....but if it is past the life expectancy of 12 years one thing will go wrong after another most likely ............... ..but this isn't my call and I will abide by whatever you say

Thanks

eddie

Eddie, I believe that I will attempt to reprogram my two garage door openers, so I will need your help in the reprogramming effort. As I mentioned on our first contact, I don’t have the operation manual on the Chamberlain unit OR the Genie. I originally thought that I had the Genie manual, but I was mistaken. Hopefully, we can start on this tomorrow morning. Thanks for your help in advance.Bill

sure Bill I check back here frequently...........you have to do that hard reset first so contact me here before you do that and try to give me some time to get here...........and again please follow these instructions explicitly and in its sequence