Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 20KW Generac standby generator. It shows a "over…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 20KW Generac standby generator. It shows a "over crank" alarm. Tried starting manually, its cranking but not starting. Can you help?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Its natural gas and connected to my gas supply

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is something straight forward

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It was installed in 2013

3/9/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

Have you ensured that the gas valve to the genset is turned on?

its a 20KW aircooled residential standby. SN is 687553919378it was working fine till very recently. The gas is on.
I am not in a position to fix it now. Is there things you can suggest

That is not a serial number. I'm not sure what it is.

Inside the unit is a sticker with the Item Number (model number), and the serial number.

I need those numbers.

If the unit is not starting, even in manual, you either are not getting spark to the plugs, or it is not getting fuel.

The first thing to do is to check and see if the choke is operating. During cranking, it should close for 2 seconds, open for 2 seconds, close for 2 seconds, etc, until the engine starts.

If the choke is not operating, there is a problem with the choke solenoid or control system.

If the choke is operating, check to see if you are getting spark to both plugs.

If not, there is a problem in the ignition system.

If you do have spark, put the plugs back in, and spray some carb cleaner into the carb while the engine is cranking. If it will fire on carb cleaner, this proves that the engine is good, and the unit is not getting fuel.

You may have a bad fuel solenoid, or a bad regulator.

Thanks. I will give this a shot when I am back home. If needed I can connect with you later.
Thanks for your help

No problem.

Did this find the problem?

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician