Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

What is the smallest size LP gas line can you use to supply…

What is the smallest...

What is the smallest size LP gas line can you use to supply fuel to a 11KW air cooled Generac Generator, and size tank to be used

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Generator is a model 7033 air cooled. Gaurdian Generac. purchased in January 18.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Generator is installed , I did the wiring. It runs but shuts down after 2 hrs running on under voltage, code 1902

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

This past Weds it started but made load grinding noise, it is down right now.

3/9/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

The size of pipe needed for the fuel run is dependent on several factors:

- The length of the run from the tank to the genset

- How many T's and elbows there are, and whether the elbows are 45 degree or 90 degree

- If there are any other appliances on that same pipe

- The lowest expected temperature for your area

There are 3 elbows 1 t with drip, 120 gal tank,, 18ft 1/2 inch rigid, 6ft copper from tank, fuel line is a detected line to gen. Elbows are 90 degrees.Temp can be as low as 14 to 20 below 0.

Ok. Please allow me a few minutes to do the math.

Ok, for a 24 foot run with 3 90 degree elbows and a T, the minimum size piping needed for an 11kW genset is 3/4".

AT 0 degrees, the minimum size fuel tank needed for proper vaporization is 325 gallons.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hank, thank you that is what I had figured. Now what could be that grinding sound after start up.

Without hearing it, it is hard to say.

Something may have come loose inside the generator, or even the engine, or maybe the starter is not disengaging once the engine starts.

Thanks again, I will call Generac and have them come up, it is under warranty.
Again thank you, ***** ***** good nite.

Yes, if it is under warranty, you definitely need to get a tech out there. Trying to work on it yourself will void the warranty.

You have a great night, also, and thank you for using Just Answer.