Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a onan emerald 3 generator and their is no spark

I have a onan...

I have a onan emerald 3 generator and their is no spark except when I let off of the start switch, I have it out of the motorhome. I have replaced the electronic board and the coil and still no spark, I have the Ignition Control exciter out and I am trying to check it. How do you check it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

It is out of the motorhome and I have the spark plugs out and their is no spark when I hit the start button.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

are you still their
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What is the full model number of the genset?
Onan 6.5 SNHEFR 26100J AC volts 120 AMPS 54.2 Gasoline HZ 60 KW 6.5Batt 12v RPM 1800

Thanks.

The most likely culprit here it the ignition module, so lets start there.

Disconnect the red and black ignition module wires from the terminals of the coil.
Run a 12V jumper to the red wire of the ignition module. Set your meter to VDC and connect the black meter lead to a good ground.
Connect the red meter lead to the black wire coming from the ignition module.
Using a 3/8" Allen wrench in the rotor through bolt located in the center of the right hand side of the set, slowly turn the engine counter clockwise as viewed from the right end. The meter should read 12V for 1/2 revolution and drop to about 1V for the other half revolution. Turn the motor through at least 3 full revolutions.

What happens?
.

I have the ignition module out of the generator at my desk with a multimeter can I check it that way with a magnet.

No, it has to be installed. I don't know why, but it won't work if not.

ok I will try than..........thanks

No problem. Just let me know what you find.

Have you checked this yet?

Not yet although I tried it with a multimeter and grounded the base of the ignition module and got a reading once or twice out of maby 10 times, I going to try it on the generator tomorrow.

OK.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
It is running and it was the ignition module. thanks you