Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Tecumseh snow Ariens 724 engine starts ok but in a few

Tecumseh snow king Ariens...

Tecumseh snow king Ariens 724 engine starts ok but in a few minuets starts missing and back fireing so bad that flames came out exhust ps choke is in right position

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if possible

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Have a electric starter that might have whent out from trying to start so much

3/8/2018
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.
How long has it been since your engine last started up and performed to your satisfaction?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You did not answer my question I donot want phone up
The phone call is only optional. I will help to determine what is causing our problem. The question above is only a troubleshooting question.
It is very likely that your carburetor will need to be cleaned. Remove the fuel bowl from your carburetor and check for water and sediments in the bottom of your fuel bowl.
We can continue from here. Thanks for your response.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have already Check the fuel and the bowl is all good

How long has it been since your engine last started up and continued to run to your satisfaction?

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Does the engine die? How long before it will restart? If the fuel system is ok, that only leaves the ignition system, and the coil/module may be going bad. It would run ok cold, but as it warms, the coil can break down, and cause the miss firing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you that sounds more like the promblem I will try a new coil. 90%
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I rather put the 24 dollers
tours the coil

OK> Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If the spark plug is sparking could the coil still be bad

Is the spark erratic? If it is, yes.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I replace the coil and it works the tax information was 100% thank you

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It seems like theirs a fuel problem also the primer don’t work when I did get it started it ran poorly backfiring and stalled out

Is primer picking up fuel from the bowl? You say bowl is full of fuel?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Befor I rate you I have to try to repair it

I'm ok with that! I would start by removing the float bowl and checking the float and needle valve.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Reply all good but problem is the same won’t start at all just pops and backfires

Sounds like the timing is off! The flywheel to crankshaft key may be sheared, throwing off the timing, or the coil is loose, next to the flywheel.

Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just rebuilt the carburetor and it didn't do nothing it still won't start

Have you checked the timing key/

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I’ve checked the timing looks good I readjusted the coil and that’s tight and everything is good the plug is sparking the carburetors getting fuel it just won’t start

Did you remove the flywheel to check the timing key?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I did not remove the flywheel would I not be able to see the timing from the outside of it I’m not quite sure

The key is between the flywheel and the crankshaft and really cannot be checked without removing the flywheel with a puller.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I will build the flywheel and see what it looks like will get back

OK>

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician