Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a generac gh-220 generator that won't start. It has…

Customer Question
I have a generac...

I have a generac gh-220 generator that won't start. It has recently sat up for 4 years and I cleaned the carb, checked to see if it gets fuel and I had it running. Then the next day I try to crank it and nothing. Even with starting fluid and not even a sputter. The carb is still clean new spark plug and it's still getting fuel. Idk what else it could be

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes I have Fuel and it's clean

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Oh and now when I do try to start it I hear a rattling sound from the starter or fly wheel

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Its getting fire to the plug, so it can't be the flywheel key, and it ran fine with no problems for about an hour. Then I killed it came back the next day and nothing. The only thing I can think is either the low oil pressure switch went bad or the valves siezed up.
3/8/2018
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 5 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

being as you have spark to the plug, means the oil pressure switch is good. You can possibly have a weak spark which would cause this. This would require a new ignition coil, or you can try cleaning the old coil and flywheel first being as it has been sitting.

Other thing is can be is low compression. you will want to check the compression with a gauge to make sure you have the proper compression to start the machine.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR