Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My 5200 chainsaw has no spark how can I test the ign pickup…

My 5200 chainsaw has...

My 5200 chainsaw has no spark how can I test the ign pickup and coil

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I just got the saw

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have checked all the wiring and the switch they are fine also the ign mod looks good no burning or swelling same with the coil the flywheel also looks good

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can I check for power coming out of the ign mod if so what reading woulg i get on my meter
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this is not what i expected you can cancel my membership
Thank you Lon
3/8/2018
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

there is no way to test the ignition module off of the machine.

remove the spark plug and then Reattach the spark plug boot to the loose spark plug, grabbing only the spark plug boot and being careful not to touch the spark plug. The exposed tip of the spark plug contains electrodes that generate electricity. Find a metal surface on the chain saw, such as the cylinder, and press the electrode tip of the spark plug firmly against the metal surface.

Turn the chain saw's ignition switch to the "On" position. Pull the chain saw's starter cord with quick, hard pulls. Sparks should form at the location where the spark plug presses against the metal surface. The sparks indicate that the ignition coil functions properly. If the spark plug doesn't create sparks, then the ignition coil is defective and needs to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i can spin the motor with a drill with the pull rope cover off which allows me to test for power at the ign mod and coil what would those readings be on my meter
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what would i set my meter on and where would i place the meter probes

meter set to Ω;

black test prod to ground metal tab;

red test prod to the only terminal and should read ~10Ω

then red test prod to the inside of the sparkplug cap and should read 1.5 ~ 12 KΩ.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
on the coil the tab 5 the wire 240
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
to the tab .5 meter on 200 meter on 20k to the plug wire 2.40

ignition coil is bad then

JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
JON
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician