Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My generator started when I plugged into the furnace stopped…

Customer Question
My generator started when...

My generator started when I plugged into the furnace stopped working working . Cleaned the filter and spark plug now it doesn’t even start at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes it’s full

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

We are stuck no

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Power is out 1 foot of snow

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/8/2018
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 4 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

1. What are the brand, model and serial number of the genset?

2. You stated that you plugged your furnace in to the genset. Exactly what procedure/equipment did you use?

3. What type of furnace is this? Electric? Gas? Oil?

Briggs Stratton storm responder 5500 watts

Storm Responder is not a model number - it is a basic series.

I need to know the actual model number.

I also need to know the rest of the information I asked you for.

Ok he’s looking now

Ok.

Model is 030430
Serial(###) ###-####

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST.

1. I still need the rest of the information I asked for in my first reply to you.

2. This is a very basic unit, and isn't too hard to work on.

First, check to see if you are getting spark to the spark plug.

Disconnect all loads from the genset.

To check for spark, remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug.

Remove the spark plug from the cylinder.

Attach the spark plug wire to the spark plug.

Using insulated tools so you do not get shocked, hold the base of the plug to the bare metal of the engine.

Crank the engine and observe the plug for spark. There should be a bright blue spark jumping the gap of the spark plug.

Is there spark present?

My husband will do that now
We have a gas furnace and the electrician put a plug on it so all need to do is plug it in and hit a button. We have done this before without issue .

Ok - that is good.

I had to ask, because I get a lot of people that think a small genset like this can run an electric furnace, and it just can't. But a gas furnace should be no problem. All the generator is powering is the circulating fan.

Let me know if it is getting spark or not.

The generator started once or sis we were able to start the furnace and tv but then it stopped. My huband then removed the filter and we cleaned it but it wasn’t dirty . Then he took off the spark plug and we used a wire brush to clean it an put back. He is now doing what you said I’ll let you know what happwnst

Ok.

Sorry it’s darknand cold so it’s taking a little bit of time to do this test

I understand. I am doing my best to work as fast as I can. But I am a generator technician, not a typist, so I am not too good at the typing thing.

He got a small spark

That's a good thing.

Now pu the plug back in, if it isn't already.

Remove the air filter.

Spray a 2 or 3 second shot of carb cleaner directly in to the carburetor, and see if the engine will start for a second or 2.

What if we don’t have a carb cleaner

Then you can pull the spark plug and pour about 2 teaspoons of gas directly in to the cylinder, and put the plug back in.

Another alternative IN AN EMERGENCY, and one I really don't recommend because of the danger of back fire, is to use a small pray bottle with a little gas in it, and spray a couple shots of gas into the carb, then try to start it. IF YOU DO THIS, DO NOT STAND DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE CARB, AS THERE IS A CHANCE IT WILL SPIT FIRE BACK OUT.

Ok he’s trying to first thing he’s not sure where the carborater is? Can u explain

The carburetor is right behind the air filter. If you pull the air filter, and look inside, you are looking right in to the carburetor.

Almost it was hard getting gas in the hole

What do you mean by almost?

Started but stopped

Double check to make sure the unit has gas in it.

Make sure the fuel valve is turned on.

he never the fuel valve off

Remove the fuel line from the carburetor.

Does gas flow out the fuel line?

it’s full of gas

I need to know if there is an obstruction.

Remove the fuel line from the carburetor. Does gas flow out the line?

It’s so dark and cold he’s not going to do anymore tonight . I’ll have him check in the morning. Is there anything else he should check? He think maybe we need a new spark plug is that possible?

The problem is that the engine is not getting fuel. You proved this by the engine trying to start when you poured gas in to it.

Either the vent in the gas cap is plugged, the filter is plugged, a fuel line is collapsed, or the carburetor is bad.

Ok thanks I will have them check it tomorrow have a good night

You too.

Good morning . Still no power. Can u tell me how to check the gas cap and filter?
Remove the fuel line from the carburetor. Does gas flow out the fuel line?
We emptied the tank and put fresh fuel in its flowing.
Starts but shuts down
What is the oHV part
If you have gas flowing out the fuel hose, it means that your carburetor is bad and will need to be replaced.

Was this what you wanted to know?