Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My zero turn mower will not go forward or backwards have…

Customer Question
My zero turn mower...

My zero turn mower will not go forward or backwards have changed th drive beltt but that did not fix problem

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Z246 husquarna about 2 years old

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Was mowing fine went up a slight hill and it quit moving

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/7/2018
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 4 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

DOUBLE CHECKED THE BYPASS VALVE ON THE MACHINE?

do not know what that is

YOU WILL HAVE A ROD ON BOTH SIDES THAT ACTUALLY DISENGAGE THE DRIVE SYSTEM. THEY NEED TO BE PUSHED ALL THE WAY INWARDS

What is the part number of the belt that was used to replace the old belt?

i know them they all the way forward
532 11 04-11
got it from a husqvarna dealer

okay, just wanted to double check the part number was correct.

being that both sides are not working, the issue will be in the belt tensioner area I would believe. how is the tension on the belt ?

pump motors are separate, so it seems like a tensioner spring or something is missing to tighten the belt once the arms are engaged to move machine

YOU SHOULD HAVE A SPRING ( part number 532 19 61-05)

this keeps tension on the drive belt. it mounts from the tensioner pulley bolt to the frame.

belt has alot of tension on it spring is fine

I will OPT OUT and see if another expert may be able to assist then. I am at a loss. unheard of for both pumps to fail at the same time.

if spring is good, and belt is tight. bypass valves are pushed inwards, only other thing I can think of is the smaller drive pulley above the clutch is smooth and needs replaced

ok thanks
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Both transmissions run off of the same drive belt. The only reason both transmissions will quit, is a problem with the belt or idler. Are the two top transmission pulleys turning when the engine is running? Is this the belt that was replaced? Or was the deck belt. the lower belt replaced?

The drive belt was replaced

Are the two upper pulleys on the transmissions turning when engine is running??

If the upper pulleys are NOT turning, and the belt is tight, the engine pulley would be loose on the crankshaft.

I see the question is still open, did you find the problem?