Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a question on a honda 390 gas generator (black max…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question on a honda 390 gas generator (black max brand)

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Black Max with a Honda 390 gas engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It starts and stops after a few seconds, i suspect it the low oil sensor

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/7/2018
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 5 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Will it start right back up after it shuts off
It does but Only if i spray the carburator with start up spray
If you have to spray it to start it back up, the issue is a clogged fuel jet and the carb will need to be cleaned internally. Very common problem.
When the machine goes to die out, spray the carb and see if it will continue to run longer
With the choke open?

yes, with choke open

Will do it now

Let me know what happens please and we can troubleshoot from there

Ok

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

Will do - have not tried the choke open yet, but will shortly
Just tried it as long as i spray the engine will run.
Okay, so this means the issue is a fuel issue. Fuel not coming from carb to cylinder. I would recommend a carb cleaning. Use carb cleaner and compressed air if available. Small wire run through jets will help dislodge any debris also
Remove entire carb. Main jet goes right up the center of carb.
You can try to remove just the bowl and clean the center jet by blowing air and spraying carb cleaner into it, but full removal is best way
10mm socket will remove bolts holding air filter cover on

Here is a link to a video on how to clean the carb. may be a little different look than your carb, but same steps. they also sell these very cheap on Amzon.com and/or eBay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=102&v=vrV-iIx85FA